Vietnamese Chicken Salad (Ga Xe Phai)
Serves 4 Hungry Piggies
- 2 lb of Chicken Meats (breast or tender), cooked and shredded
- Half of Head of Green Lettuce, thinly sliced
- Half of Purple Cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 Bag of Vietnamese Coriander (Rau Ram), plucked and half chopped
- Half of Onion (White or Yellow), thinly sliced
- 1 Cup of Fried Shallot
- 1 Cup of Vinegar
- 4 Tbs of Sugar
- 2 Tbs of Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tbs of Chicken Powder or Salt
- (optional) 1/4 Cup of Toasted Peanut, crushed
Fish Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/4 Cup & 1 Tbs of Sugar
- 1/4 Cup of Fish Sauce
- 1 Cup of Water
- 2-3 Lime (depending on sour level)
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3-6 Thai Chili, thinly chopped (depending on desired spice level)
Boil a hot pot of water and dissolve the chicken powder or salt in it. Cook the chicken meats for 15-20 minutes. Afterward, drain the water and let it cool off in the room temperature for about 30 minutes. Finally, shred the chicken with your hand or fork into thin pieces as shown.
While you prepare the chicken, mix the vinegar and sugar in a small bowl. Dissolve the sugar completely and add the thinly sliced onion. Soak it for 10 minutes and drain well afterward. Prepare the green lettuce and purple cabbage by chopping them thinly. Wash and drain them well. Pluck the Vietnamese Coriander from the stem and then wash them. Place them on a cutting board and chop them a few time, aiming for halves of the leaves.
Prepare the fish sauce by adding the sugar, fish sauce and water in a bowl first. Taste and adjust to your desire. Add the lime juice, garlic and thai chili. Mix well and adjust again if needed.
Ground the black pepper over the shredded chicken. Mix well.
Add the green lettuce, purple cabbage, Vietnamese coriander, and onion. Mix well.
When it is time to serve, add and mix the fried shallot in. Then pour the fish sauce on the salad and mix well. Enjoy!